Recently this boy celebrated his 9th birthday. We kept it simple this year, which he is learning can be just as fun. All he wanted to do was spend time together as a family, invite a friend to see the new Percy Jackson movie, eat some donuts with Dad, have raspberry shortcake birthday cake, and open a few gifts. And if those gifts could be Legos, well then his life would just be perfect.
Because his birthday always lands so close to the Labor Day holiday, it means extra family time is possible. And for my introverted quality time love language speaking son, it always makes for "the best day ever." We hit a fun park in downtown, had dinner in the West End district, and spent a few hours at the awesome Perot Science Museum.
Celebrating this awesome kid is easy. I love him dearly, and am so grateful for the close relationship we share. He's my most stubborn kid, but my most tenderhearted one, too. This summer we bonded like never before, and I am so proud to be his mother. I sometimes look at him and marvel at what he can do and how his mind thinks.
One of the crowing moments of his birthday, happened after he received two cards in the mail from Aunt Jenny and Grandma. They enclosed a little sumthin sumthin and that brought him to his savings goal that he had set about 3.5 months ago. At long last he was able to get a Man of Steel Lego set he had been wanting. We went to the store to buy it but mean old mommy wouldn't let him get it at Target when I knew it was cheaper online. I was so proud of him and how hard he worked to earn his money. He literally saved every penny. When it finally came in the mail, he was more giddy than he has ever been.
He also loved a few other things he got on his special day, not the least being a special pre-ordered book announcement in a card from Mommy, and the Lego Creationary game from Daddy (Mommy. Ahem.).
He LOVES Rick Riordan and is fascinated by his Heroes of Olympus series. I ordered the next book which comes out in October. He couldn't believe it, he was so ecstatic! Ask him to name any of the Greek gods and goddesses, and he will not let you down, nor will he stop telling you about their background. Zeus, I am your father. (Oh wait, wrong series. See how much I know.)
(Makenna's sad face is SLAYING me here.)
What a great kid, who continually tests and teaches us. We are blessed and honored to be his parents and will be forever thankful for the gift he is to us.
(Photo cred Sara Boulter Photography)
"You'll be in my heart... No matter what they say. You'll be here in my heart, Always."










Happy Birthday to your boy. What a lovely tribute.
ReplyDeleteAnaise! I have been trying to track down your blog. I miss your posts. I got a new computer and I don't have any of my "old favorites".... Can you send me the link?
Delete