I have had this nagging thought in my mind for a few months now, about how I need to journal some really special experiences my children have had. And then when another experience happened a few weeks ago, I knew that I needed to take the time and listen to the promptings of the Spirit and to write them down. Being on bed rest you would have thought I had the time, but I would forget every day. Now that I'm up and around and surrounded by fresh laundry that needs to get finished, I think I will take the time to do so.
Story #1 Heavenly Father answers prayers
Several months ago, Marcus was asked to give a talk in primary (the children's organization) at church. I have this unwritten rule that if they get asked to do it (typically we just get the assignment in an email), I discuss the topic with them and ask if they would like to give the talk. I don't force it on them, but I do encourage the opportunity. If they agree to do it, they are also responsible for writing the talk. I will be their secretary if they want to dictate it to me, but I want them to do the studying for it and have an experience listening to the Spirit telling them what to say.
His assignment was "Heavenly Father answers prayers." We are a praying family. We rely on it heavily and we do our best to instill that in our children from a very, very young age. And even though we pray on a frequent basis, their testimonies of prayer never cease to amaze and enlighten and inspire me.
This was what he wanted to say and daddy acted as the scribe:
"Hi, my name is Marcus ______. My talk is about 'how Heavenly Father answers prayers.'
"One day I was trying to open my piggy bank so I could give money to my mom. But I couldn't get it open. So I decided to say a prayer all by myself. I kneeled down in my room and folded my arms and I asked Heavenly Father to help me open my piggy bank. When I was done, I waited. And when I was done waiting I tried to open it and it worked. I felt good inside and I knew Heavenly Father had answered my prayers. I know if you try to say prayers, Heavenly Father will answer them. A primary song that I like is called, 'A Child's Prayer,' and it goes like this...."
I sat in the audience listening to my sweet boy, amazed at the conviction in his voice. I did not know what he would say or how it would be presented. And what happened next shocked me most of all.
When he said "and it goes like this..." I thought he would say the words to the popular children's hymn, but instead he looked over at the pianist and motioned for her to start playing. I had no idea what he was going to do so I just looked at her and shrugged my shoulders and made my way up to the podium to "help" him. And then my sweet boy made all the adults in the room start to cry as his little raspy voice starting singing the words to that sweet song. I will be forever thankful that my husband couldn't make it to hear the talk and that I had decided to record it with my phone, because now I have that precious moment captured forever.
This is such a priceless treasure for me. I cannot put into words how powerful the feeling was in that room that day. I don't doubt what this boy will be able to accomplish in his life, because he knows who he can turn to for help. (My theme as a mother is 2 Nephi 25:26) Even though this concept is something we have taught our children since they said their first words, on this day Marcus was my teacher and reminded me of the purity and simplicity of a child's prayer.
I have a kid with the gift of prayer, too. I always wonder what I did to get the gift of being her mom. Your kid, my kid, all of these kids are amazing!!!
ReplyDelete