These days it's all baby, baby, baby. And that's just from the kids. Alfer and I are still in denial, trying to wrap our brains around the fact that in 42 days we become a family of six. This past weekend we took the kids and drove the five hours south to Daddy's AF base for "Family Day" with his entire wing (That's about 2,000 people). We decided to have one last mini-vaycay with the kiddos before life changes as we know it. On the drive back I said, "We won't ever be able to not have a mini van or large SUV." That was his lightning bolt.
So yeah, it's slowly sinking in.
When I picture her, I see my other children's features. The dark hair, the brown eyes, the distinct nose, the beautiful lips, and yes, even the squishy tooshie. But maybe she'll surprise us. Maybe she'll have lighter hair and green eyes. Maybe at long last I will finally get credit for actually having a child that looks like me. You know, the one who carried them for 9 months and then birthed them and became their indentured servant?
Probably not. Biology is stacked against me. But that's okay because let's be honest, my kids are crazy beautiful (they're also crazy and beautiful) and she is sure to follow in their footsteps. (But maybe she'll have some mercy on her poor old mom and be the quiet, peaceful, sleeping through the night type of baby I've always heard other people have?)
This past week I asked her big sister what are some of the things she wants to teach little Baby M. The recorded results were pretty spectacular. She's going to be a very wise caboose in our family.
Me: "What are some things you are going to teach your sister?"
MJ: "Well, first not to hit."
Me: "What else? anything?"
MJ: "Yes. Not to kick."
Me: "What's up with all the violence?"
MJ; "Well, also not to play with knives."
Me: "That's a good one."
MJ: "And not to scribble scrabble."
Me: "I can see where that might be a problem. Is there anything else?"
MJ: "To eat all her dinner."
Me: "But you don't even do that. How are you going to teach her that?"
MJ: "When she comes I will eat all my dinner."
Me: "That's good. Any more advice?"
MJ: "Not to play with any more knives."
Me: "Good thing you added that."
MJ: "And to play nice and not choke on any lego pieces."
Me: "Yeah, remember when you did that and mommy had to clean out your you know what?"
MJ: "Yes. that was gross."
Me: "Yeah, no kidding. Anything else you think would be good to tell her?"
MJ: "To say 'hola' and 'must have mas chocolate.'"
Me: "You're going to teach her Spanish? That's great."
MJ: "Yes, and to eat her carrots."
Me: "But you don't like carrots and you never eat them."
MJ: "But she will."
Me: "Good to know. And one more thing?"
MJ: "And to teach her beauty tips."
Me: "That's very important. What a good one. I think you're going to be a great big sister."
MJ: "Pretty much."
No matter what happens, she will truly be the most loved baby of any baby on the planet. The kids think Christmas, the Tooth Fairy, and the Easter Bunny don't even compare to how awesome it will be to have her here.
And I couldn't agree more. Even if it means I have to drive a mini-van for the rest of my life.

This post is both hilarious and so touching!
ReplyDelete