We had a birthday here this last week, which was pretty much the main topic of conversation at least a month in advance. This handsome little superman turned 7 and we had such a blast celebrating the awesomeness that he is.
His birthday breakfast of choice was mommy's cinnamon rolls and fresh fruit. Pretty much their wish is my command on their birthdays, so I went without a few hours of beauty sleep in order to comply with his demands.
He opened a few presents and it then off to school they went! For his birthday he got a thermos for his lunch (to take hot stuff. his request.), a set of "cool" things for his bike, like a horn and side mirror, a small Lego Chima set, and a Nerf bow and arrow. He was in heaven and I was in heaven with how little I spent. Who knew I could make his dreams come true so easily?!
I surprised him at school with lunch (fresh quesadillas and blackberries) and found him already sitting with his BFF, which made his day just about perfect.
After school he opened Grandma's card that came in the mail and was thrilled with the greenbacks she sent for him to spend any way he wishes. She's the best and always, always remembers. For dinner he chose my homemade tostada feast, and also had his BFF come over to join in on the family fun. (uh, why didn't I get a picture of that?) Then Daddy took the boys to see the new Lego Movie, but not before we had the "best birthday cake ever."
A few days before, I was lamenting over the fact that my kids had no idea how jipped they were in the birthday cake department. One look at pinterest and it's enough to make my eyes pop out with all the colors and fondants. I just couldn't bring myself to doing it (me no likey the dyes), so with his order fresh in my mind, I went to work. He wanted a vanilla cake with strawberries and strawberry frosting. Because he has Legos on the brain, I wanted to incorporate that somehow, too. I made this cake, slightly modified, and used this idea to make it look lego-ish. I made my own frosting, left over from the cinnamon rolls. I just tweaked it a bit and added fresh strawberries. It's not an ideal cake frosting, but I knew my boy wouldn't care. He just likes it to taste good and I just wanted to make him happy, without all that fake red coloring. The result wasn't very pinterest worthy or very pretty (actually, pretty funny), but in my defense I was hurrying to frost it before he came in the room.
I took this sequence of pics because this is SO my Marcus,
and he idolizes his older brother (and his older brother idolizes him),
so it's perfect they are in these classic pictures together.
He loved his birthday and I loved how despite the simplicity of it all, he was so happy. A few days later, he had all three of his besties over for pizza, Lego games, and cupcake decorating. These kids have pretty much celebrated every birthday together for the past several years, and it's so great to see how they're all growing and how they are still close. As a mother, it's such a gift to be a part of his life, and the lives of those he loves so much.
I love my little man. He's one of my life's greatest joys and blessings.
Our family wouldn't be complete without our 7 year old- size 4T jeans wearing- funny man.
What an awesome family! And to think I raised the mother! Those kids are so gifted,sweet, smart,talented and over all a near perfect family!
ReplyDelete