Tuesday, March 4, 2014

We're just a bunch of sporty people

Not.

But we make great attempts.

And the kids are happy. For the most part.

One of the local Baptist congregations here in town sponsors a basketball league every winter. Last year Mason took a break from soccer and really fell in love with dribbling and shooting.  This year Marcus decided he wanted in on the action and because our attempts at getting a soccer team together totally fizzled, he asked to sign up, too. I happily obliged because my standing "rule" as a mom is one activity at a time. Countless talks from church leaders have emphasized family time and the burdens of overloading our kids (and parents) by running them here and there and everywhere in between. (This one is a favorite.) I feel really strongly about this and avoid any unnecessary outside influence by spending more quality time as a family, and giving them adequate rest.  One outside-of-the-home activity at a time is perfect. Mason has basketball and scouts, which, with school work is plenty as far as I am concerned. Marcus has basketball and in the future he'll have scouts, too. With my calling in the Young Women program at church, that takes me out of the home for at least one night a week, so I try to be really careful about other activities that require our family to be apart. In the off season the kiddos do run club at school or choose another sport or activity. I am sure this won't last too long as in the future we will throw in a music lesson or two, and don't even get me started on TWO little girls. (Daddy already has serious soccer team coaching plans for them!) But I am determined to keep it this way until they are older.  Children have enough pressure as it is and so as for me and my house, this is what we do. Other families may feel differently, and if it works for them, then great!
 
The basketball season ended this past weekend amidst triumph and tears. I was proud of my kiddos for plugging along and never quitting, despite the odds stacked against them (mainly, having us as their parents for we are some serious non-ESPNers. It's the superbowl? huh? We have a professional basketball and baseball team in our city? What?)  It definitely was a character building experience being on the teams they were assigned to, and I took great pride in watching them deal with the pros and cons of each situation. I can't say I will ever miss the nacho snack bar food fest after each game, but I will miss their excitement each time they were called up to play in a quarter.
 

 
Watching Marcus play

 
Mason's turn 


 
 
Mason was fortunate to have his BFF on the same team this year,
(Which made the experience bearable and totally worth it.)





 
 
My little man.
 




 
 
I won't let my kids be victims by playing the blame game. I don't like to entertain whining and complaining either. However, I gotta give a shout out to my little man for his performance this year. It's no secret that he's small in stature and so basketball isn't probably his ultimate destiny. But this kid is FAST! Sadly his coach often overlooked his speed and let things like unkind comments and treatment from his own team members go without much notice as well. And the opposing teams played on that note, too, because EVERY quarter of EVERY game he played, he was blocked by or assigned to block the tallest kid on the other team. I mean, without fail. It became almost laughable at one point, but then it kept happening and in the last quarter of the last game, my boy fought back. I noticed an aggression that is not typical for him. And his demeanor was changing and his upbeat attitude was flat. Something was off. He even got his first foul and that's when Daddy started noticing, too. It all caught up to him and he had had enough.
 
The quarter ended and I stood up to talk to him, but instead he made a B-line for Daddy and fell into his arms like a little broken boy and just sobbed. My husband even teared up at the gesture, while I stood in the corner trying to gain my composure as well. My little man in jersey #4 just held onto Daddy for dear life, like he did when he was a baby and needed comfort and dared not let go.
 
Like I said, character building. And happy, for the most part. (As for me, I'm elated the season is over and I get my kids back one more night a week.)
 
Now we move on to training for a 5k (Mason's new year's resolution), and Marcus has decided to take up cycling (i.e. every Saturday morning with Mommy on a three-mile ride around the neighborhood) and possibly gymnastics. I am pretty sure no matter what they do, I will be their biggest cheerleader -- sans the mini skirt-- and in my eyes they'll always be the very best, no matter their size, speed, or ability.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

1 comment:

  1. Poor little fellow. We just signed Emily up for her first competitive soccer team--we've only done developmental city leagues so far. It will be a trial season to see if she continues for high school, but I'm freaked out because of practices and games and team meetings--it's an astonishing demand on our family's time, and it's only one kid! I'm with you about limiting what activities are allowed. This is going to me a learning season for me, too. The good part is that all of my girls can slowly but surely play for the same team over time. I'm glad they all like soccer. I can't imagine trying to juggle multiple sports!

    ReplyDelete