This is the last week of school and I have so many fun plans for the kiddos this summer, I can't wait to get started. And thinking about not having to wake up before 7 to pack lunches is enough to leave me perma-grinning for months! Putting away the uniforms and breaking out the swimsuits and diving toys is a first. I also have some school workbooks I bought for our daily assignments, science and art projects to try out, Spanish lessons to master (won't my in-laws be proud?), and more. Oh, and the baseboards. You can't forget those. They need a good cleaning.
It's going to be a great summer. And it's been a great school year. I got really emotional (shocker) at the kids' award ceremonies yesterday when I thought about it coming to a close. They have accomplished so much this year and have worked so hard. Their efforts really paid off and I was so happy they were recognized for it. Not that I want to encourage that idea all the time (because sometimes doing good without being noticed is important, too); but yesterday for that brief moment when they realized how their hard work had paid off, it was priceless to me as a mother.
Mr. Marcus was recognized as a Graduating Kindergartner (while still wearing size 3T shorts, thankyouverymuch) and received awards for Excellence in Writing, Excellence in Reading, Fly Guy book club member (which basically means he read the series of books, tested on them, and passed for comprehension), Leopard Bowl 3rd place Participant (the school's Jeopardy type contest), Six Flags reading program, and as a member of the Leopard Lewis Run Club.
Excited doesn't begin to describe him.
With his best friends EVER (who are also members of our ward)
Afterwards his class had yearbook signing and a special graduation breakfast where I brought my homemade cinnamon rolls and gave the kids a nice sugar rush.
When his ceremony was over, it was time to go to big brother Mason's ceremony. He was equally excited, but much more reserved in his display of emotions.
I couldn't help but get really emotional while I was taking these pictures (that's why they're so blurry). Mason set a few personal goals at the beginning of the year and when his awards were announced, I realized he had accomplished all of them.
He was recognized for being on the All "A" Honor Roll, being in 13 different reading clubs (see explanation for "Fly Guy" above), 2nd place Leopard Bowl contestant, Excellence in Math, Excellence in Science, Excellence in Social Studies, Excellence in English, Excellence in Reading, Excellence in Spelling (he got 100% on every spelling test each Friday of the year), Six Flags reading award, Citizenship award, Member of the Lewis Leopard Run Club, and AR Top Three with 505 points. That in itself is quite an accomplishment. For each book he read he took a comprehension test. The higher the score on the test and the greater the difficulty of the book, the more points you receive. He had set a goal to get 500 by the end of the year. I admit I was secretly "worried" he wouldn't reach it, but when I heard them announce that number, I nearly burst with emotion. A few people started clapping and the kids in the room let out a big gasp. Not only was he in the top 3, he actually was the top for his grade. The other two had scored 89 and 83. He was so thrilled and red-faced with his accomplishment, and I wanted to rush the stage and hug him. It was all I could do to just sit there and snap pictures.
His two best friends, who are also members of our ward, just happened to be in the same class with him this year. He loves them so much.
His besties. They're all so stinkin' cute.
After his awards ceremony, his teacher invited me back to his classroom for a special presentation of a project he's been working on throughout the 2nd half of the year. He was the only second grader in the school to be in the Gifted and Talented program and as a result, he had to do the research and project on his own. He worked really hard (and secretly loved the "alone" time) and learned everything Masonly possible about Tornadoes and Hurricanes. Then he put together a lap book, again all on his own, during the day at school. I had no idea about anything (only that he was in the program and the subject he was researching).
I am so proud of these two boys. Honestly, some days I pinch myself because I can't believe they are mine. Yes, yes, yes they can be a challenge. I pray to know how to be a better mother and more specifically how to help them channel these talents and heavenly gifts to humbly use them to better the world. I know much is expected of me and of them, and will certainly keep that in mind this summer. While we are cleaning baseboards, of course.













No comments:
Post a Comment