In addition to being able to see the family we had found, taught, and baptized, my companion and I were privileged to see another eternal friend we made so many years ago while on our recent adventure to D.C.
When I first got to the area of Falls Church, VA, in April 2002, and was assigned to Hermana Bingham as my companion, she had already been teaching a sweet woman named Hilda from El Salvador with her former companion. Hilda had not committed to baptism yet but right off I knew we had a special connection and that she was what they called "golden."
Sometime in May she accepted our challenge to be baptized and was baptized shortly thereafter. I loved being with Hilda because we always LAUGHED. And there was such a goodness and a sweetness to her, it was infectious. Right after I was married, my husband and I went back to D.C. to be her escorts as she entered the temple. (Hermana Bingham was there, too. We have done all of this together!)
Hilda was the 2nd person I called when I got my tickets to D.C. and arrangements were made for us to stay with her at a close friend's beautiful home. She also knows this special family from Argentina and so it worked out perfectly that she would be part of all of the festivities over the weekend.
With our sweet eternal friends
I actually didn't recognize her when I saw her, which I still feel so badly about! But in my defense her hair is a lot shorter and tomorrow I have an eye appointment to get glasses so I am finally not so blind. As soon as we were together, the laughter commenced and it was as if we had never said goodbye 10 years prior. A decade! I kept saying that I couldn't believe it had been that long. We vowed to not let that happen again.
Poor Maegan was pretty maxed out by a long day of travel and unfamiliarity so we left around 9 PM to put her to bed. Once she was good and asleep, Hilda, Bingy, and I stayed up way too late like a bunch of silly teenagers and laughed until our eyes were swollen from tears and exhaustion.
When we finally decided to call it a night around 1:30 AM, I was so hyper I couldn't sleep. I texted my husband and since his day was pretty much beginning, we were able to Facetime. I just kept telling him over and over that I couldn't believe this was all happening. It just didn't seem like so many miracles and tender mercies were possible. He loved seeing the perma-grin on my face, which wasn't as sweet as it could have been only because he wasn't there with me to enjoy it all in person. (It was his mission too!)
The next morning we woke up to a beautiful breakfast by our sweet Hilda and then she took us out to brunch (memories of all the eating in the mission were quickly becoming a reality once again) at her daughter's restaurant. She didn't want to let baby Maegan out of her sight and we had the best time catching up and finally enjoying time with no restrictions. When we were in the mission, we typically taught her lessons later in the evening and then always had to rush to get home on time. I was always sad because I wanted more time with her. This visit we just soaked it all in and talked and laughed as much as we wanted to. It felt like no time had passed at all and we were able to pick up right where we left off.
We wanted to be tourists if only for a few hours so we could get some little presents for our babies back home. Hilda happily obliged and accompanied us into downtown. We felt so rebellious driving into the District because we were never allowed to as missionaries. I was loving every minute of it, having the best of both worlds with me: Mission and D.C., my two favorite things ever.
Our first stop was at Arlington Cemetery to see the Iwo Jima/Marine Corps Memorial, mainly because I had my husband's military service on my brain and wanted some pictures. I have seen this place countless times and it never gets old or less sacred, that's for sure. It was POURING buckets and poor baby Maegan was trying her best to keep it together. Thankfully Hilda has the faith to move mountains and offered a prayer for the weather to clear up and it clear up it did!
We also visited the beautiful and new WWII Memorial, which I hadn't seen before. Hilda pushed Maegan all over the site so I could enjoy it on my own, thinking about my husband obviously, and my Dad's service in the Pacific. (I took a lot of pics there, too, and will have to post those another time.) After the rain finally stopped we went to the American History Museum to make some purchases for our kiddos. I got me this awesome hat because I never buy myself anything. Hilda spoiled us and bought shirts for our kids because she wanted to do something for them. She really is such a lovely, genuine person. My life is better because I know her.
We stood here and took a picture just before she was baptized over 12 years ago.
On Sunday we had the missionary farewell, but sat with Hilda at church. While taking this picture, several ward members were waiting to say hello and everyone was snapping pictures. I'm no Angelina Jolie, but it was quite surreal. I couldn't stop smiling there was so much love in that place. Sitting together with her in church and then attending her Sunday School class where SHE was teaching the investigators the gospel, was almost too much and I sat in the back of the room, feeding the baby, silently sobbing to myself. I just couldn't believe I was blessed with such a gift, being there to witness and be a part of something so miraculous. I took it all in, minute by minute, wishing that time could stand still and I could stay forever.
On Monday morning we had to leave for the airport and Hilda had to leave for work, so after extending our time together as long as we possibly could, it was finally time to say Hasta Luego....not Adios. I cried so much when we hugged one last time. I love this woman and I know we were friends before this life on earth. I have no way to prove it, but I know it to be true. She is one of the Lord's most faithful and trusted servant's and I'm honored to know her and to be part of her life story.
But wait, there's more....
And now it came to pass that as Alma was journeying.... to his astonishment, he met with the sons of Mosiah ...
...Alma did rejoice exceedingly to see his brethren; and what added more to his joy, they were still his brethren in the Lord; yea, and they had waxed strong in the knowledge of the truth; for they were men of a sound understanding and they had searched the scriptures diligently, that they might know the word of God.
But this is not all; they had given themselves to much prayer, and fasting; therefore they had the spirit of prophecy, and the spirit of revelation, and when they taught, they taught with power and authority of God.







What absolute joy! The two parts of this story gave me an inspirational start to my day. :)
ReplyDelete