Monday, September 29, 2014

The reason we went -- Part 3

I heard his call, I followed Him, and cast my net to all at sea.
Then caught up in a wave of joy, I found His net had gathered me.

I think I was a pretty naive 24 year old when I left on my mission to Washington D.C. I thought I was doing this great service and that I would be blessed for doing so. 

I was doing a great service.
I was blessed for doing so.

But It wasn't about me. Not ever. 

When my companion and I were back visiting a few weeks ago, I realized that truth more and more. It was the Lord's work. He would have gotten it done whether I boarded that flight after 9/11 or not. And this sweet family would have been found if Bingy and I decided to go ahead and call it a day and not knock one more door. It wasn't me who did all these great things, it was the Lord. And He gave me the greatest gift by letting me take part in it. 

We went on our mission to find them but in the end we found ourselves and found Christ. And our lives will never be the same. Ever.
 
And we went on the trip because The Lord loved us enough to give us that reminder. I won't ever forget it.



She was born after I left the mission
 and now we share the same name...


My companion and I taught and baptized this sweet girl, too.
Recently she stopped coming to church and we were determined to find her and invite her back.
We were so happy she received us and I loved that she and I both just had baby girls!

The future missionary

Coming off the plane I was so excited to see her wearing a missionary nametag!
When she got closer, I saw what it actually said.
It was my nametag that I had given her 12 years before.
"How great shall be your joy!"
Yeah, that's kind of an understatement.


I loved this girl like she was my daughter way back when.
I had to get a picture of these two together.



Passing the baton to this wonderful girl.
See you in 18 months, Hermanita!

 

1 comment:

  1. How wonderful. There just aren't any words . . . just wonder and awe and gratitude!!!

    ReplyDelete